• WELCOME
Welcome to the Myantispyware - free site offering help and assistance on spyware, malware and adware removal. As a guest you can only browse and view the various topics in the forums, but can not create a new topic and reply to an existing topic. If you are seeking help, you will need to be a logged into the forums with a registered account. Registering is free.
Click here to Create a free account and read How to use Spyware Removal Forum

Malwarebyte not responding

Moderator: Moderators

Malwarebyte not responding

Postby Brion99 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:59 pm

I've been following all the steps you have listed to get rid of the Vimax & Google misdirection bugs but now that I get to Malwarebyte it won't run. It seems to have installed fine, but just does absolutely nothing when I try to open it (I did turn off all programs & am using Vista SP1). Any ideas??

Ed- I've now tried Hi-jack This and as soon as I click on it I get the "Program has stopped working" box pop up....ugh!

Ed 2- Tried opening Malwarebyte with "right-click, run as admin" and got same "program has stopped working" as with HiJack-This immediately after clicking on it.
Brion99

Re: Malwarebyte not responding

Postby jesup » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 pm

WIndows Antivirus Pro (at least some versions) disables Malwarebytes when it tries a scan, and permanently makes the executable non-runnable. Do a new install to a different directory. Copy mbam.exe to another file and then run it
jesup

Postby Brion99 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:43 am

Thanks, that got it to work, though unfortunately it didn't fix either the Vimax ads or the re-directing. Any ideas?

I also tried the full scan but it locked up twice when it got to something close to D:/windows/win32/SECURITY (sshoulda wrote it down, sorry....if it'll help I'll do it again and copy it exactly).

Heres the log I got...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2551
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

8/21/2009 11:24:12 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-21 (23-24-12).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 78442
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 12

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\xpreapp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\band.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\mcwasrexon.exe (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\mexwonrcas.exe (Rogue.AVCare) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\msrnawecxo.exe (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\nemasxwocr.exe (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\ocnmawrsex.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\ras.exe (Rogue.AVCare) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\serr.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\stat.exe (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\usage.exe (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\brion\AppData\Local\Temp\xearosnmwc.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\MSIVXcount (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
Brion99

Postby Brion99 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:49 am

and heres a log I ran after that (and this time remembering to update first.....duh).

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2675
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

8/22/2009 12:13:08 AM
mbam-log-2009-08-22 (00-13-08).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 79620
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Windows\System32\MSIVXcount (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
Brion99

Postby patrik » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Hello, welcome to the Myantispyware forum.

If you have previously downloaded ComboFix, please delete that version now.
Download Combofix from here. Close any open browsers. Double click on combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
When the tool is finished, it will produce a log for you.If the log does not automatically open, then it can be found at %systemdrive%\combofix.txt (typically C:\combofix.txt).

Post back with combofix log.

If ComboFix will not run, please rename it to myapp.exe and try again!
patrik
Site Admin

Return to Archived Logs